[Clfs-dev] Boot Method rather than chroot steps of the Cross-LFS book

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Mon Aug 13 13:53:56 PDT 2012

Hello everybody,

Been working on the boot method of the book, but mostly with powerpc
for now.

I've come across some issues we need to discuss.

When we boot, it is a very minimal system. Really, only the extra
program installed is VIM.
We tell the user to build a minimal kernel to mount the rootfs and
that is about it, and to not include audio and all that jazz. That is
fine.

Although, I think the user may need network access. For example,
maybe they want to build the system by running an openssh daemon in
the booted temp system. That is fine. Since we install minimal boot
scripts, the kernel can use ip autolevel configuration via dhcp,
rarp, or some other method or the user can pass the kernel paramaters
of the boot line to configure the network, and not even use
bootscripts, don't need to install iproute2 in the temp system before
booting. I think that may be the best way and we would not need to
install ethernet configuration programs for the boot method.

Next up, we discourage the use of modules for the boot method, but if
someone does and they decide to compress them for whatever reason,
kmod will not load them as xz and zlib aren't enabled by default. We
can enable those options for kmod during the boot method section and
that will fix that. I know we want to keep the boot method minimal,
and I want to know what the community has to say about the above
issues I am raising.