[Clfs-dev] Embedded: Is e2fsprogs really needed in core embedded book?

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 03:32:09 PDT 2011

In the embedded book:
* Busybox has basic e2fsprogs functionality (chattr, fsck, lsattr, and
tune2fs)  built into it now but not yet enabled in our config patch.
* The standard e2fsprogs install used in the embedded book builds some
rather large binaries.  In total, they're on the order of the same
size as Busybox.
* Most people probably aren't creating file systems on their embedded
machine (thus not needing real e2fsprogs functionality beyond fsck).

Do we really need e2fsprogs to be a core part of the embedded book if
the Busybox config patch is updated to include the basic
functionality?

I can see an easy case being made for having e2fsprogs in a "beyond"
section, but it seems to me like Busybox can take care of the more
basic / required stuff like fsck for most embedded systems.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Andrew