[Clfs-dev] [Embedded] Pull Request

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:33:07 PDT 2011

This thread is a bit of an oldy (and the subject no longer matches the
content) but thought I'd bring it back up as I'm looking to add xinetd
to beyond for the embedded book (Ivan sent me some info on all the
steps quite a while ago but I've been busy with a bunch of other
things recently) and I wanted to try my hand at the dependencies
thing.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 20:16 -0400, Andrew Bradford wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > But let me ask, in the future some of those sections are going to get
>> > big. Both CBLFS and BLFS have the files needed for each package listed
>> > on each page rather then in a manifest at the top of the section. Lets
>> > say a section was to have 20 packages in it, and you were only going to
>> > install one, say iptables. Would it make more sense to have the download
>> > locations listed on each page?
>>
>> I'd also like to have something that defines what the dependencies are
>> for packages.
>
> Take a look at the appendices/dependencies/{common,arm,mips,x86}.xml
> files. This information should still be correct. That information used
> to be included on to the top of each page. I don't remember why we
> dropped it, it was a long long time ago. But it can certainly be
> implemented again.

I found the regular BLFS style to be rather nice.  Nicer than the
currently included appendices/dependencies approach.  Taking something
like BLFS has, with the download info at the top of the page, and
adding dependencies as a part of the green section is my new
inspiration for the beyond section in the embedded book.
A link: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/cvs/server/xinetd.html

It would be assumed that the core part of the book would already be
built (aka, BusyBox and the Linux kernel).

As I craft the xinetd instructions based off of what Ivan sent me and
what BLFS has, I'll work in the new "green" section header.  I'll
still add the xinetd package to the bulk package listing page in one
of the beyond chapters.  Then as we convert other parts of beyond over
to the new "green" method, we can get rid of the old package listing
page in each chapter.

-Andrew