[Clfs-dev] Grub2 vs Extlinux

db m myheadblewoff at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:19:26 PST 2011

Joe --

  I'm just about to do a multilib build, so I'm glad to spot this -- tbh, I still prefer
lilo (but that's just me being old-dog) -- wrt this below, I think possibly I look
at this aspect...

Grub2 Cons >To compile font files, freetype would have to be added to the book

versus

Extlinux Cons > May require nasm

Either, may require an addition to the book....and if that were so, I think the base
might tolerate nasm, but freetype? ...personally I think that freetype should be
outside base (always ;)

If then you look at the situation with fb0 devices. PXE nuances etc...at the cost of
a small learning curve, Extlinux sits with me as 'the better choice' here...

/2cents

Don