[Clfs-dev] Grub2 vs Extlinux

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 10:46:33 PST 2011

Both Grub2 and Extlinux have their merit. In the past I've defended
GRUB. After upgrading to GRUB2 I'm starting to question if my arguments
for keeping grub were well founded. I wanted to weigh the pros and cons
between grub2 and extlinux. And determine what would be the better
bootloader. A few people have suggested that the book go the extlinux
route now. Any opinions on the matter?

In the end, I like both bootloaders. extlinux is probably more versatile
in the sense that it can optionally have a menu or not. And how fancy
you get is simply up to how complex you want to make your configuration.
I don't see how either one would be more complicated to configure.

Grub2 Pros:
  Supports x86, x86_64, and x86_64-64.
  Automated configuration (Mixed feelings on this, I almost consider it
a con)
  Automated MBR Installer

Grub2 Cons:
  Issues with framebuffers, I have yet to get this to work predictably
across a range of systems.
  To compile font files, freetype would have to be added to the book, or
a link to cblfs.

Extlinux Pros
  Supports x86, x86_64, and x86_64-64
  Supports a wide range of modules
  Much better PXE support for booting.

Extlinux Cons
  May require nasm (I believe only for one of the modules)
  Possibly some users not as familiar with it
  Ext{2,3,4} /boot only (Not sure about anyone else, but I only use ext2
for /boot).

Penny for your thoughts?

--
Joe Ciccone