[Clfs-dev] Concerning Sparc users and Grub 1.97.2

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Tue Apr 6 15:32:26 PDT 2010

Ahoy mateys,

     I decided to see if Grub 1.97.2 and 1.98 were up to the test
with my Ultra 60 since Vincent, who contributes to the sparc
component of grub.

I finally got grub to get me a menu and boot my system.

Things are easier if you use an external device and create a an alias
with nvalias rather than using a long OF path to the device.

Also, I couldn't get the boot loader to use my second partition I use
for boot for multiple builds so I made it the first partition.
If the grub modules and config aren't accessible on the first
partition of the device used, then problems will be encountered
and you'll be manually booting every time from the grub rescue> prompt.

Install grub2 as usual: configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
whatever else you want. If you have fomit-frame-pointer in your CFLAGS,
remove them as it will affect the boot loader. If it is default in
your compiler's specs, add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to your CFLAGS and
configure.

make a grub config.
run grub-install
run grub-setup

Ya may need to createa a devicemap with grub-mkdevicemap and then
edit it as you like.
Use that devicemap file with grub-install and setup if required.

Reboot, and boot the device while at the ok> prompt.

If all goes okay it'll have the grub welcome message and start grub
in normal mode itself from the grub rescue> prompt.

I could not use 1.98 as it would always result in data access error
when reading the kernel. 1.97.2 is what I have working at
the moment.

gfxterm I haven't messed with and it probably still needs work. Keep
close eye on the grub lists as it is always in discussion.

Also, if you use powerpc, it'll use the same of module as sparc.  I'm
still working on powerpc and I may need to use 1.97.2 with it as well.
I'll attempt that some time soonl

So, for now, with my Ultra 60, I can use grub 1.97.2 to boot my linux
systems fine. Just have to make sure the grub data is on the first
partition.
No matter what I tried, it'd always default to the first partition,
even if I set the --root-directory option when doing grub-setup. I
even put
prefix and root information in a grubenv file and it still didn't
work. So I'm sure it will get ironed out. I usually include swap as
my first
partition but I guess I'll make it my 2nd partition now and make the
boot data the first partition.

Party on!

-William