[Clfs-dev] PowerPC64 Users (update)

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Mon Aug 24 12:16:50 PDT 2009

Hello Everybody,

    I've finally decided to give up food to fix the Dual G5. Found
some CPUs in good working order and received some liquid cooling
supplies.

I took apart the whole liquid cooling system and found that the water
blocks were leaking. The seal between the cover and the block had
failed. This is a known common with many early G5 liquid cooled
systems. Another known problem is leaking from the pump with a
diaphragm section underneath the pump to allow for fluid expansion. I
didn't notice any fluid leaking from that section. I replaced all the
pipe and braided hose with clear hose and the fluid is now Feser One
clear/blue coolant. I finished filling the system today and I have it
on the desk next to me running so I can check for leaks. Later I'll
attach the CPUs to the blocks and then attempt to mount it all in the
system and hope everything checks out.

For pictures of the project:

http://cross-lfs.org/~kb0iic/DualG5/index.html

Sincerely,