[Clfs-dev] CBLFS - transcode-1.0.5

db m myheadblewoff at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:35:41 PDT 2008

Greets,

> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:01:40 +0000
> From: zarniwhoop
> To: clfs-dev@
> Subject: Re: [Clfs-dev] CBLFS - transcode-1.0.5
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:40:12PM -0400, Joe Ciccone wrote:
> > db m wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > Instructions for building transcode-1.0.5 include reference to 2 patches ;
> > >
> > > http://svn.cross-lfs.org/svn/repos/patches/transcode/transcode-1.0.5-bigdir-1.patch
> > > http://svn.cross-lfs.org/svn/repos/patches/transcode/transcode-1.0.5-lzo2-1.patch
> > >
> > > These patches do not exist --- previous versions (for transcode-1.0.4)
> > > are sitting
> > > in the repo instead ; these still apply fine to transcode-1.0.5
> > >
> > > Rather than edit this page and make versioning information appear
> > > disjointed,
> > > can someone with access to the patches repo please check this and perhaps
> > > change filenames as appropriate? If not, let me know and I'll edit the
> > > wiki page.
> > >
> > Blame the last person that made the edit. Chances are the patches will
> > work with the new version, without looking at what they do and at the
> > code I couldn't tell you.
>
>  To throw a spanner in the works, I built a pure64 x86_64 a month
> ago, but using gcc-4.2.4 [ that was a diversion to see if my evince
> problems had gone ].  Transcode-1.0.6 built without _any_ patches
> (although I did have to make some seds because of the recent ffmpeg
> snapshot I used) - details buried within my somewhat long notes
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/new-desktop-late-2008-first-attempt.gz

Seems like we use the same toolbox -- I've been looking at transcode-1.0.6 too ;)
Going by changelogs and other tidbits on the transcoding website, releases
previous to 1.0.6 were source compatible with both lzo/lzo2 (dependant on
configure time switches), but as of 1.0.6 lzo2 (only?) is now the way to go. Hence,
the lzo2 patch is no longer needed for 1.0.6 at all, but I've still to investigate the
'bigdir-1' patch to see whether it's still applicable. I'll get to that over the next
couple of days. Thanks for the link to your notes, I'll check those later as well...
...and yes, you need seds to get around ffmpeg ongoing changes.

 > > > Also, I did notice transcode-1.0.5 compiles fine *without* the
> > > '--disable-nuv' switch
>
>  I needed this on 1.0.6, otherwise the build craps out in nuv/.
> What architecture/size are you building ?

clfs-1.1.0_x86_64 multilib, iirc it was a 64bit build

>  This is one of those av packages where things mostly have to be
> specified, so I'll mention my configure used
> ./configure --prefix=/usr  --enable-freetype2 --enable-ogg \
>  --enable-vorbis --enable-a52 --enable-theora --enable-libxml2 \
>  --disable-nuv
>
>  As I mentioned in my notes, this isn't something I've ever found
> time to use, so there might still be issues with my build.
>
> ĸen
> --

Okay...thanks for all of this. Ability to handle nuppelvideo is not going
to affect too many people - mythtv is the only app I regularly use which
defaultly transcodes to .nuv (and it uses it's own fork of transcode to do
so), but I'm still checking this lot out. As time permits, I think I'll fix my gaze
on transcode-1.0.6 and make sure (test) that the build is all sane. If it all
checks out, I'll update the wiki as appropriate.

Regards,

Don