[Clfs-dev] powerpc64 and sparc64 discussion for 32 bit user space and multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 17 06:11:23 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 07:39:49PM -0600, William Harrington wrote:

> So far I have not been able to get gcc to build 32 bit by default.
> I've attempted editing gcc/config/rs6000/linux64.h and editing the
> specs file dumped by /tools/bin/gcc and changing defaults, however, it
> isn't helping any.
>
> I figured it'd be easy to just change the specs so that
> multilib_default was m32 and that if m64 or m32 wasn't given it'd use
> the 32 bit code.
>
> Same with changing MULTILIB_DEFAULTS in linux64.h to m32.
> Perhaps ASM_DEFAULT_SPEC neeed changing to so I changed to so if m32
> wasn't given it'd use 32. It's normally set that if m64 isn't given
> it'll use 64 bit code.
>
> Most of the lists I run across where people are wanting 32 bit by
> default, they suggest using a wrapper script.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -William
 Take a look at fedora ?  I've never attempted to understand all of
what they do for ppc64.  You could start at
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/gcc/F-10/

 The main thing is the specfile (gcc43.spec) which contains an
*enormous* amount of things, but particularly the chunk which starts

%ifarch sparcv9 ppc
ln -sf ../../../../../lib64/libobjc.so.2 64/libobjc.so

(I tried pasting it, but the long lines get broken)

 I also note they create a gcc64 wrapper early in the process.

ĸen