[Clfs-dev] powerpc64 and sparc64 discussion for 32 bit user space and multilib

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Tue Dec 16 18:28:57 PST 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 7:39 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
>    I have time now and I'm working on what was discussed in the irc
> channel a couple/few months ago about having a multilib toolchain,
> but having it default to building 32bit user space instead of 64bit
> user space.
>
> So far I have not been able to get gcc to build 32 bit by default.
> I've attempted editing gcc/config/rs6000/linux64.h and editing the
> specs file dumped by /tools/bin/gcc and changing defaults, however,
> it isn't helping any.

Maybe I should use --with-cpu=default32 to the gcc configure command
line. However it'll attempt to build 32 bit by default but it needs
some help. Going to work with this more tomorrow. I'm burnt out. If
anyone has some ideas for when I start tomorrow, I'll be glad to give
them a try. Here is some output:

gcc dummy.c
/tools/lib64/gcc/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../
powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /tools/lib64/
gcc/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.3.2/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/tools/lib64/gcc/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../
powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
root:~# gcc -m64 dummy.c
root:~# file a.out
a.out: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco 7500,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.0, not stripped

So........ maybe I goofed something up earlier in the build. What I
had done is build using the powerpc64 book up till the toolchain
packages, where I was testing the gcc that was build for the temp
system to make sure gcc would build default by 32 bit to see if I
could get it going.

Getting a step closer!

-William