[Clfs-dev] Weirdness.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 29 16:11:44 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 05:51:05PM -0500, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > # modprobe nfs
> > MODTEST_OVERRIDE used but MODTEST_UNAME not set
>
> Oh -- I bet now if you build the USB stuff as a module, it'll start
> working again.  Sounds like the udev part of the problem was when it
> tried to process the rule to load the aliased module, and modprobe
> failed.  :-)
 I've still got the old kernel, and after that yes, it did work - both
keyboard an nfs.

> (mount also tries to load a module for the FS -- or at least, it causes
> the kernel to try.)
>
> > all the objects, the binaries, the empty manpages were still present.
>
> So the cause was that distclean doesn't actually do anything?  That's an
> odd thing for a package to do (and probably a bug), but it would explain
> the left-over debugging junk in the binaries.

 I think distclean was used in the past for LFS and clfs because it
did what was needed.  It still does _something_ but I failed to make
sense of it.  Possibly, it's for cleaning things up in a release.

 Personally, I think that a testsuite which tests a different build
from what you actually want to use is borderline insane - I'm less
worried that after running a number of tests it reports that all 1
tests succeeded.  I know testsuites can sometimes be useful, and
I've got more doubts about the gcc branch update with its thousands
of errors (built xorg this evening, both with 1.4.0.90, and with
1.4.0 which was working a couple of months ago, and both lock up the
machine), but in general I think testsuites are rarely worth the
time they take.
> It would have been more informative for the kernel to return a "no such
> filesystem" error (because it couldn't load nfs) instead of "no such
> device", but hey, whatever.

 nfs-utils translates an rpc error to ENODEV.

 Sorry if I've missed any letter 'd's and not spotted it, I think my
keyboard is showing signs of wear.  Who would have guessed that 'd'
would be my most-worn keyswitch ?

ĸen