[Clfs-dev] Embedded thoughts

michiegan at eircom.net michiegan at eircom.net
Thu Dec 27 15:37:04 PST 2007

I posted on this subject before Christmas, but no one commented. So I'll have another go now that people are back from the festivities (=

I was very interested to see the embedded version of CLFS, but it's technique seems a little strange.

>From the little I've read, the tools seem to be built within the build partition, used to build the system then tossed away? For most embedded developing I've read about, you want to keep your cross-compile tools on your host system in a handy place and only install the kernel, libc and apps in the build partition. After all, during development, you might need to rebuild the root filesystem many times, but you only need to build the cross-compile tools once unless your changing something in your toolchain.

I've recently discovered that the Sega Dreamcast can boot a Linux CD with minimal work (see http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7466555948.html ) But this article was written in 2001. Further searching shows various other ways to hack the dreamcast, but only using very old tools Gcc<=3.4.1, binutil~2.11, glibc-2.2.4 and a 2.4 kernel. I'd like to see this updated. There seems to be recent work on dreamcast  in the latest kernel, but no community setup yet.

I'd also like to play around with a toolchain for the GP2X. Afterall, the more (platforms), the merrier (=

The only problem is, ATM, I've no connection at home. I surf/E-Mail at the local library and hack on my dual Opteron at home. Once I get work, I'll be getting broadband at home and can be more connected. Till then, it's just piecemeal browsing/hacking as I commute back and forth )=

But I'm looking forward to seeing the embedded book develop and grow.

Cheers,

    John Gay