[Clfs-dev] Weirdness.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 28 16:11:23 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 01:24:03AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
 eek! bad to worse! snipped Bryan's attribution for this para:

> > If you know the module name for the keyboard driver, see if it has any
> > aliases that would map to something that's in one of the modalias sysfs
> > attributes.  Actually, see if the modalias is present on the old kernel
> > (it probably is), and then see if it got removed in the new kernel.
> >

>  Will do, tomorrow, I hope
 In fact, I only got back to it an hour or so ago.  The keyboard
_was_ a module, and there was another problem I hadn't allowed for
: lack of attention to detail by yours truly!  The new system is on
hda9, but the 'image' line in yaboot.conf was pointing to
disk at 0:7,/boot/whichever (hda7).  Only discovered that after I set
up a new image called 2.6.23.12A (with a localversion of 'A' to keep
the modules separate) and it failed to load.

 I've now built in ehci_hcd, ohci_hcd (both modules were loaded on
the earlier system), usbkbd (actually, CONFIG_USB_KBD no longer
exists as an option, so I just turned everything on), hid, and
evdev.  So, it looks as if udev-118

 I'm now using that from a normal boot to ssh to my server where my
mailboxes are.

 Not out of the woods yet - nfs isn't working, all I get is
'mount.nfs: No such device' and the strace output is less than
enlightening.  The server just records authenticated mount
requests...  Oh $%^#¡! : I've managed to build it with
nf-utils-1.0.10 instead of 1.1.1  - I must have been thinking of
something else and invoked an old copy of the script which was lying
around for another purpose. <sigh>  Maybe I should just have shut
down for the week :-(

 On the bright side, I now know that the keyboard needs to be built
in (I'm just surprised it used to manage as a module).  Thanks for
your help.

ĸen