[Clfs-support] clfs-mbdd: cross-tools/binutils: 'When used with --host' .

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Mon May 1 07:49:52 PDT 2017

Hi,

On 04/30 10:32, akhiezer wrote:

> clfs-embedded:
> branches: master; (abradfa) 2017.04-fixes  .
> cross-tools/binutils has ~disconnected text 'When used with --host [...]' :
> ====
> http://clfs.org/view/clfs-embedded/x86/cross-tools/binutils.html
> https://github.com/bradfa/clfs-embedded/blob/2017.04-fixes/BOOK/cross-tools/common/binutils.xml
> ==
>  --target=${CLFS_TARGET}
>
>     When used with --host, this creates a cross-architecture executable
>     that creates files for ${CLFS_TARGET} but runs on the host system.
> ====
>
> The "When used with --host" text seems to be a bit ~disconnected:
> for, the configure command does not include a(n explicit)
> '--host=...' parameter; and '--host' does not appear anywhere else on
> the page.
>
> As such, the page can seem a little confusing/hand-waving to a newer
> reader: the text could do with being tightened-up a bit.
>

> Further, is it intentional to omit explicit '--host=' cfg opt here?

Yes, I believe it's intentional.  The configure scripts will generally
pick the right options for --host= and --build= if you don't specify
them, the system which configure is being run on will define these
values.  At least this is how it works in my experience.

But I've updated the wording a bit in my queue.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Andrew