[Clfs-support] i586 target with cmov

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Tue May 17 13:35:29 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 19:06, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Yea, I've compiled Linus' code and ran on the RDC3308 itself.  I've not
> compiled the code in this environment.  I'm not sure if I should see cmov
> instructions in the binary or not.  I am using uname hack.  If I rebuilt
> gmp and coreutils would cmov be included?

Hello Chris,

In gmp configure git master:

i586 | pentium)
	gcc_cflags_cpu="-mtune=pentium -mcpu=pentium -m486"
	gcc_cflags_arch="-march=pentium"
	path="x86/pentium x86"

You can do what is done in ch10 during ch6 GMP build:

mv -v config{fsf,}.guess
mv -v config{fsf,}.sub

Then it'll use generic targets not optimized with the host CPU.

I don't know if cmov will be removed. GMP checks the assembler to see if
supports cmov, and is supposed to be enabled in gmp when i686/pentium pro
or newer is in the target triplet. It isn't supposed to be included with
i586/pentium or older.