[Clfs-support] Host system missing needed packages

sfeebots454 at cfl.rr.com sfeebots454 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 26 22:48:10 PST 2016

On my eleventh attempt at CLFS/LFS the Binutils-2.25 produced using GIT-20160119-x86_64-Multilib failed 11 tests as it did in the previous attempt.

============================
11 of 213 tests failed
See testsuite/test-suite.log
============================

Just dealing with the first failure:

FAIL: relro_test.sh

../../../binutils-2.25.1/gold/testsuite/relro_test.sh: line 63: dc: command not found
../../../binutils-2.25.1/gold/testsuite/relro_test.sh: line 64: dc: command not found
../../../binutils-2.25.1/gold/testsuite/relro_test.sh: line 66: test: : integer expression expected
PT_GNU_RELRO segment does not end at page boundary.

63  RELRO_END=`echo "16o 16i $RELRO_START $RELRO_LEN + p" | dc`
64  REM=`echo "16i $RELRO_END $LOAD_ALIGN % p" | dc`
65
66  if test "$REM" -eq 0; then

I believe my failed attempts all have to do with missing dependencies that break glibc, binutil, GCC and others. In truth the core packages have always failed a few too many tests.

The developers of CLFS/LFS must not use "off the shelf" workstation distros. In that you add a developers layer on top of the distro you must be adding background packages that are not commonly installed in binary distros.

Please recommend a distro that will support skylake hardware (kernel version 3.x or higher) which can be configured at installation for software development which would have what is needed.
Failing that please instruct how to add a developers layer through meta package or in any manner to Fedora, OpenSUSE tumbleweed, Manjaro, Sparky etc.

Thanks,   Leon