[Clfs-support] The case of the dead keyboard with the loaded driver...

A.J. Venter ajventer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:12:21 PDT 2015

Hi,
So, on my second try I finally got a CLFS built to the point where the
kernel was completed and it could build.
I should mention I skipped the grub chapters since I am using an extra
boot entry in my existing bootloader to load CLFS.

Unfortunately, once it presents a login screen - nothing can be typed.
My first thought was that I must be missing some driver, probably a
keyboard driver I had as a module or something.
So I recompiled the kernel, twice actually, trying to find the missing
piece - which was odd since the config was based on one I had working
on a normal LFS before.

Important note: the one point where I deviated from the book (20150907
version) was with the kernel version, I'm using the latest stable:
4.1.7

But then I check the /var/syslog and lo and behold found this:

Sep 16 01:28:52 aj_clfs kernel: [    1.824505] usb 1-1.4: New USB
device found, idVendor=04d9, idProduct=1603
Sep 16 01:28:52 aj_clfs kernel: [    1.824558] usb 1-1.4: New USB
device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Sep 16 01:28:52 aj_clfs kernel: [    1.824622] usb 1-1.4: Product: USB Keyboard
Sep 16 01:28:52 aj_clfs kernel: [    1.824668] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer:

So it seems the keyboard is found, and apparently loading the driver.
The lines are identical to what appears in syslog on my host system.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to debug further. I can only do so
much from within a chroot, but to debug it with the live kernel is
rather tricky when that kernel won't let me type and log in.

Any suggestions ? I am happy to send any logs or details that will
help if you give me an idea what to look for.
--
"Semper in excretum set alta variant" - My father
A.J. Venter - http://www.silentcoder.co.za