[Clfs-support] clfs-multilib-x86 chroot and PKG_CONFIG_PATH reference to /tools/lib question

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Thu Feb 5 06:12:42 PST 2015

On Thu, February 5, 2015 13:29, lux-integ wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am working through current clfs(git)  mulilib (x86 book ) and I am
> puzzled
> that in the chroot location there are references to
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tools/lib64/pkgconfig
>
> at 10.77
> http://clfs.org/view/git/x86_64/final-system/kbd.html
> ( for kbd-2.0.2)

Well, if you have been paying attention during the build, the Check
package, in ch6, gets installed to tools. KBD relies on some metadata from
that package. Pkg-config installed in ch10, will not search
/tools/lib64/pkg-config by default. That has to be added as a search path
for pkg-config.

> and 10.79 here
> http://clfs.org/view/git/x86_64/final-system/libpipeline-64bit.html
> for libpipeline-1.40=.0  (64-bit )

Libpipeline also requires the Check test metadata from /tools/lib64,
PKG_CONFIG_PATH needs to be set again.

> I am curious as to why potential linking to libraries in the toolchain
> would not be erroneous.

pkg-config's default search path for multilib is /usr/share/pkgconfig
because we have PKG_CONFIG_PATH32 and PKG_CONFIG_PATH64 for
/usr/lib/pkgconfig (32bit), and /usr/lib64/pkgconfig (64bit).