[Clfs-support] DHCPCD: bonding

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Tue Feb 18 13:59:14 PST 2014

On 02/18/2014 04:23 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 2:50 PM, Alexey Orishko wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Booting clfs 2.1.0 with two separate eth i/f works fine, but no
>> description for making bonding work.
>> I was not able to find any useful info on the subject and its author
>> replied to the question with
>> "asking your linux distro vendor".. Well, it is hard in CLFS case :-)
>> The only option I see now to compile dhcpd client instead and use old
>> lfs-6.3 setup I have.
>>
>> Have anyone managed to configure bonding with dhcpcd for at least two
>> eth interfaces (eth0 and eth1)?
>
> Follow
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/bridge-utils.html
>
> The blfs bootscripts have a service file for bridging.
>
> You can see how it is done.
>
> Install bridge-utils, and put the service file in the proper place. The
> same place our clfs bootscripts installed the ipv4 and ipv4-static and
> dhcpcd service files if you did install those.
>
> Our bootscripts are a bit different than LFS/BLFS when it comes to
> location of files. Our interface config files are in
> /etc/sysconfig/interfaces  if I recall.
>
> That should get  you going. You'll need to inspect the service file and
> make sure our ifup ifdn scripts will work properly. Investigate.

Bridging and bonding are two very different things.  Bridging connects
one interface to another to pass things through, useful for VMs which
want to connect to a real network.  Bonding puts two interfaces in
parallel (effectively) to increase the throughput, load balance, or
provide for failover.

Which are we talking about here?

-Andrew