[Clfs-support] Mounting Kernel Filesystems

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Feb 17 09:14:53 PST 2014

On Feb 16, 2014, at 6:40 PM, Alexey Orishko wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm doing chroot CLFS 2.1.0 x86 variant and I need a clarification in
> the chapter 8.10.1 for two mount commands:
> mount -vt devpts -o gid=5,mode=620 none /dev/pts
> mount -vt tmpfs none /dev/shm

Those are to be done in chroot.

> While doing them in chroot I got an error:
> chroot. root:/$ id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
> chroot. root:/$ mount -vt tmpfs none /dev/shm
> mount: only root can use "--types" option (effective UID is 2xxx)

become root, then chroot.  Use su.

If the problem persists, you are going to have to retrace your command
history with the book and find out where a mistake was made.
I encountered this problem one time when buliding CLFS and testing
git, and I couldn't figure it out, restarted from scratch and all was
fine.

Maybe you'll find out why.