[Clfs-support] ppc64 recovery, and yaboot ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 23 20:22:55 PDT 2013

 My first attempt at getting a recent ppc64 build (mostly LFS-based,
and 32-bit userspace, but using the ppc{,64} items from cross-lfs)
failed because yaboot didn't like the ext4 filesystem I was using.
That was with the old (1.3.13) yaboot on my host system.  I fixed
that by booting hte host, tarring up the new system, remaking the
filesystem as ext3, and untarring it.  All seemed good.

 But now I've tried to tweak my kernel config (/dev/sr0 wasn't
present) and used ybin from the new yaboot-1.3.17 with the clfs
patches.  It seemed to install ok, as with the first attempt, but
when I try to boot *every* available linux system (all ext3) reports
the dreaded 'unknown or corrupt filesystem' message.

1. Any recommendations for a rescue CD to chroot to the old system ?
I suppose that means I'll need to find my old mac keyboard to be
able to open the CD drive.  #$^@"* this for a game of skittles :-(

2. Any ideas what I've done wrong in compiling/installing yaboot ?

TIA.

ĸen