[Clfs-support] clfs-sysroot for arm/raspberrypi

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Wed Mar 20 06:54:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:12:12 +0000
bvl <bvl at btconnect.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 March 2013 15:43:57 Andrew Bradford wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:33:22 +0000
>
> > Does the raspi not work properly without patched eglibc, gcc, and
> > binutils?  Isn't it just an armv6/ARM11 core?  Wouldn't it run armv5
> > code (often called armel) without issue?
> >
> I last had a go at CLFS systoort in 2008 for a beagleboard.  At the
> time a large number of patches were needed.  Am I now to assume
> that    modern kernels and gcc    now support arm cpu's such  that
> extensive patches as in 2008  are  unnecessary?

Modern GCC, binutils, and c libs generally don't need patches to
support ARM.  The embedded book has very few patches that touch code on
the toolchain for ARM and the config patches really shouldn't be
necessary if you want to do your own config for the c library.

Regarding kernels, that depends.  BeagleBoard and BeagleBoard-xM are
well supported in mainline Linux.  BeagleBone is not, yet, but 3.9 or
3.10 might see better support.  There are people, like Koen Kooi [1],
collecting patches for the bone on 3.8 and 3.9, though, until all those
patches make it to mainline via linux-omap mailing list.  For the Rasp
Pi, last I knew mainline wasn't well supporting the Broadcom chip, but
that will be changing soon, if it hasn't already simply due to the
number of boards out there.  Boards based on AllWinner chips should be
seeing decent mainline kernel support real soon now, too.

[1]:https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/tree/3.9

-Andrew