[Clfs-support] gcc-4.8.0 clfs udev questions

bvl bvl at btconnect.com
Sat Jun 1 03:16:39 PDT 2013

Greetings

I in a quandry as to the best 'version' of udev for updated clfs setups with
gcc-4.8.x, eglibc-2.17, linux-3.8+.  The clfs book is still based on the
ageing udev-182.

Yesterday I explained that udev-182 does not build against glibc-2.17. I also
explained that a forked udev named eudev
( https://github.com/gentoo/eudev )  does. In the meantime   there were clfs-
mailing-list  responses from clfs-contributers "Koornstra, Reinoud" and Martin
Ward suggesting  the   LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -lrt" switch  may  be used to  build
udev-182 against eglibc-2.17.

I beleive that eudev might be a better route as it is taken from current
systemd ( so equivalent to  ~udev-202 )  but unsure of any pitfalls viv a vis
bootscript compatibility.  So I have 2 questions:-

--1. Has anyone else tried eudev and is it compatible with clfs-bootscripts ?
--2. Has anyone tried compiling udev-182 with eglibc-2.17 installed and using
the  LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -lrt" switch ?

thanks in advnce
sincerely
bv