[Clfs-support] Binutils-2.23.2 build error [CLFS Version GIT-20130703-x86_64-Multilib]

Krishnashish Gogoi mister_raindrop at lavabit.com
Fri Jul 5 17:23:46 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm currently following the CLFS book for the x86_64 Multilib build
found here: http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64/index.html
Version GIT-20130703-x86_64-Multilib

I've run into an error in the "Constructing Cross-Compile Tools"
section, regarding the Binutils package. As instructed by the book, I'm
using version 2.23.2 of the Binutils package. However, I've run into a
build error when executing 'make'. Here is the part where the error is
shown: http://tny.cz/c305754c

I noticed these lines and realized that they might be causing the
problem:
-----
./../../binutils-2.23.2/bfd/doc/bfd.texinfo:325: unknown command
`colophon'
./../../binutils-2.23.2/bfd/doc/bfd.texinfo:336: unknown command
`cygnus'
make[3]: *** [bfd.info] Error 1
-----

The chapter where I ran into this problem is:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64/cross-tools/binutils.html
I also ran into it during chapter 6.9:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64/temp-system/binutils.html

After pulling a lot of chest hair, searching google and reading the
mailing lists, I tried the sed instruction shown in this LFS (not CLFS)
chapter:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/binutils.html

The instruction was:
sed -i -e 's/@colophon/@@colophon/' \
       -e 's/doc at cygnus.com/doc@@cygnus.com/' bfd/doc/bfd.texinfo

I ran it in the source directory of the binutils package, before
following the instructions of the chapter of the CLFS book I was
reading. This seemed to do the trick and the package compiled just fine.
I don't know if this is just a problem with me or not, so can anyone
check if this error is reproducible?

The sed command also fixed the problem when compiling Binutils in the
next section.

I'm running Debian (Unstable) on a Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with
3.9-1-amd64 x86_64 Linux kernel, if any of this matters.

So,

1. Can anyone reproduce this error or is it just me? Maybe I'm missing
packages or something? I already installed texinfo but still no luck
without the sed instruction.

2. If the error is reproducible, is the sed instruction I tried viable
or is there something else that deals with it much better? And, can
anyone update the book with the correct solution? :D

Oh and first post on this mailing list, please be gentle. :D

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Krishnashish Gogoi