[Clfs-support] clfs 1.2.0 powerpc 5.14 configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Tue Sep 4 13:06:37 PDT 2012

On Sep 4, 2012, at 06:36 AM, Tobi Ipaye wrote:

> /mnt/clfs/sources/gcc-build/./gcc/as: line 87: exec: -m: invalid
> option
> exec: usage: exec [-cl] [-a name] [command [arguments ...]]
> [redirection ...]
> configure:3272: $? = 1

This exited with a status of 1 cause of as having an invalid -m option.

checking build system type... i486-cross-linux-gnu   If your uname -a
output is for i686, why is this set to i486?

I don't know how well newer ubuntu releases will work with the 1.2.0
book, either.

Maybe you can check your command history with the book and maybe find
a typo or it may in fact be an issue cause of Ubuntu. Who knows. I do
know, when i did my cross tools and tools for my powerbook G4 before
the big version updates to CLFS GIT (our development version) I had
no issues and I used a debian squeeze install, and all went well. Was
using x86_64 host in vmware.

Of course did the usual apt-get install build-essential m4 gawk
ncurses-dev bison texinfo && sudo dpkg-reconfigure  ( to make sure
the default shell was bash).