[Clfs-support] CLooG-parma looking for GMP and PPL on host system

P. J. McDermott pjm at nac.net
Wed Jan 4 15:19:18 PST 2012

On 01/04/2012 07:51 AM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
>> How can I make CLooG-parma use PPL and GMP from ${BBL}/cross-tools
>> instead of searching the host system?  Or should I just install GMP,
>> MPFR, and PPL (and probably CLooG-parma) on my host system?
>
> You're in pretty new territory here :)
> When you build GMP, MPFR, and MPC (which you don't list, but you do
> need), they install into {CLFS}/cross-tools and that is the host system.
>  These will be host compiled libraries and binaries, not target
> compiled.  They're just used for building GCC, they don't carry over to
> the target.

Yes, I understand that these libraries are all built for and running on
the host system.  I probably should have been more clear; I meant to ask
how I can make CLooG-parma search the cross-tools directory instead of /usr.

CLFS-Sysroot actually never mentions MPC, which I did find odd since
it's built for GCC in LFS.  I'll add it to my procedure, thanks.

> Do you really need CLooG?
> At least in the embedded CLFS book, we don't have CLooG, and in real LFS
> CLooG is listed as an optional dependency for GCC.  Have you tried just
> not using any CLooG with your build?
>
> I'm not really sure what advantage CLooG gets you when building GCC,
> I've never looked into it.

Looking at GCC's installation documentation [1], it seems CLooG and PPL
are optional and only needed to build with Graphite [2] loop memory
optimizations.  It also seems I should be using regular CLooG instead of
CLooG-parma.  I'll try building regular CLooG, but if that doesn't work
(which is probable) I'll just build the cross-compiling GCC without PPL
and CLooG.

1: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html
2: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite

> If you find your build procedure works well, and if you have some free
> time, please feel welcomed to send patches to the sysroot book.  It
> needs some love.  Grab the master branch from git:
> http://git.cross-lfs.org/?p=clfs-sysroot.git
>
> Patches or git pull requests can be sent to the -dev mailing list.

My time is rather limited, but if I can I will. :)

> -Andrew

Thanks,
--
P. J. McDermott     http://www.pehjota.net/            (_/@\_)    ,--.