[Clfs-support] CLFS Pure64 x86_64 eglibc-2.13 glibc-2.14.1 binutils ncurses issues

Corbin Bird corbinbird at charter.net
Sat Feb 25 11:54:28 PST 2012

Hello everyone,

First Error :
    This link is for error reference :

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2011-June/064803.html

I get this every time I try on Debian 6 stable, x86_64, compiling '
eglibc-2.13 ' . Attempt 7+ ? Found no workaround for this.

Tried using glibc-2.14.1 as in the link above and the ' -Wl,--as-needed
' Error 134  in the make check was fatal every time.
    Sorry, my machine seg faulted and the exact error [ elf/? ] got lost
before I could save it.

Reference Link : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Toolchain

Used the ' --with-binutils=PATH ' set, ' AS_FOR_TARGET= ' , '
LD_FOR_TARGET= ' switches. Still got the error. Used the
'glibc-2.14.1-cpuid-1.patch' I found on LFS / CLFS ftp as well.

This did show in the compiler output after ' --with-binutils=PATH ' was
specified : "  -Wl,--no-as-needed -lgcc -Wl,--as-needed -lgcc_s
-Wl,--no-as-needed `gcc -B/tools/bin "

This  output : " -Wl,--as-needed -lgcc_s " . My guess is this relates to
' libgcc static ' ? ' --disable-static ' had no effect on glibc compile
/ make check.

(grin) No, It had nothing to do with this :
http://trac.cross-lfs.org/ticket/134
    Nice hack though, thanks for posting !

Second Error:
    Ncurses 5.9 error :
    *** edit BROKEN LINKER 0

Every search search I ran referred this error to Ncurses 5.7
?un-patched? . Which is what Debian 6 stable, x86_64, has default.
Tried compiling binutils and pointing Ncurses at that. Same error still.
Or is this a ld.so.conf / LD_LIBRARY_PATH related issue?

Problem :  binutils on Debain 6 stable, x86_64

    no 'libbfd' or 'libbfd-dev' installed or available to install.
Multi-arch / Cross-compile also separate , non 'dev' package.

There is a dev package for Binutils / BFD in the repo with "shared" .
Found the best thing to do was compile binutils first and point
everything at its results. Will try this again with first binutils
compile native / non cross-compile before beginning the clfs-book.

Wisdom is treasured ... Love to hear from you all.

Thanks for your efforts.