[Clfs-support] version-check.sh: /lib/libc.so.6: not found

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Thu Aug 2 04:34:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012, at 07:31 AM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012, at 07:52 PM, Ron McDowell wrote:
> > Thanks to new hardware here, I'm building up a new build box based on
> > Linux Mint 13 x86_64.  Everything in version_check.sh is found, except
> > for /lib/libc.so.6.  Closest thing I've found to it is
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 ... will that do?  Do I need a symlink
> > to /lib?
>
> I had opened a ticket [1] in trac for this for the embedded book.
> Apparently it applies to others, too.
>
> [1]: http://trac.cross-lfs.org/ticket/762
>
> The change in moving libc.so from /lib to /lib/$ARCH is due to multiarch
> changes and their friends.  In order to better support having libs for
> more than one arch installed at any one time, multiarch uses the triplet
> within /lib.  Ubuntu (and derivatives) started the multiarch migration
> starting with 11.10, 12.04 implements it more fully.  Debian Wheezy will
> have a similar state of multiarch as did Ubuntu 11.10, Debian Jessie
> will be (probably) fully multiarch.
>
> The ticket gives some guidance on how the version check script should
> change.  Basically, test what libc.so is being used by bash.  Probably
> should update it by using `which bash` to make sure the currently chosen
> bash is the one checked, but that's trivial.

But, after reading all that, I realized I didn't actually answer your
question :)

That (/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6) will do.  You're fine.  You don't
need a symlink or anything.
Your host gcc will know to look for libc.so.6 in the multiarch location
rather than in /lib.  That's all that really matters.

-Andrew