[Clfs-support] Cannot login on serial port (embedded ARM, busybox)

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 05:17:44 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Lance Jump <lancej29 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Andrew Bradford <bradfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you have the time and desire, feel free to fix the docbook source
>> and send a patch (or pull request) to the -dev list.
>
> I would, but I don't know how to go about it. I wouldn't mind learning if
> you could point me to some instructions.  I realize that it is probably
> easier for you just to make the changes yourself rather than teaching me
> how, but, once I know, I might be of help in the future.

Some old saying about teaching a man to fish... :)

You'll need to have git installed on your machine.  Then grab a copy
of the embedded book git repo:
$ git clone git://git.cross-lfs.org/clfs-embedded.git

This will create a directory called clfs-embedded for you.  Navigate
to clfs-embedded/BOOK/bootable/x86/ and edit the file kernel.xml (side
note: the kernel.xml for arm references the kernel.xml for x86 right
now, not ideal, it should refer to a common/kernel.xml but that hasn't
been updated yet).  Line 117 should look pretty familiar to you, fix
it.  Save.  (all our tabs are 2 spaces, may not be the default in your
editor)  Build the book into html to make sure it looks correct:
in the BOOK dir just run make, it'll build all versions of the book
and store the html output in a directory called ../render
If make complains about not having some package for doing rendering,
install that and try again (Ubuntu 10.04 should have everything you
need available through apt-get).

Once the html looks right, add the file you changed (the kernel.xml)
to git's staging area:
$ git add (path to kernel.xml file you just edited)

Commit the change:
$ git commit

That will bring up your default editor (most likely vim or nano/pico).
 Put a short one liner title on the first line, then a blank line,
then a more descriptive change (such as a link to the trac ticket).
Save your commit note and exit the editor, that triggers the actual
commit.

You can then push your repo to a site like github and send a pull
request or you can send a patch in an email.  To create a patch file
for emailing, run:
$ git format-patch origin/master

This will create a patch that can take the origin/master (the repo you
cloned) to the state you are at now.  It'll be called
0001-Your_Title_here.patch (or something similar).  Send that file to
the -dev list.

That's a rather quick and rough overview of git / how to update the
clfs books.  If anything doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try
to be more descriptive.  Some great resources on git:
http://git-scm.com/
http://progit.org/book/

-Andrew