[Clfs-support] Cannot login on serial port (embedded ARM, busybox)

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 11:09:09 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Lance Jump <lancej29 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you follow the embedded book exactly for creating the user account
>> to build an embedded system, nothing will leak into your build from
>> the host.
>
> Yes, it is well thought out in that respect.  The problem is the "follow it
> exactly" part. Experience has shown me that I make enough mistakes to want a
> safety net.

Understandable.
If you can think of any way we could make the user creation less
complex but still keep the nice separation between the host and target
builds, please let me know.  I admit the current method is not as
brain-dead-simple as it could be.  User creation is one of the spots
where it's easy to make one tiny mistake that ruins and entire build
by polluting the target environment.

> I agree that scripts are not running.  My earlier experiments of putting
> messages (including echoing to files) appears to confirm this.  I seem to be
> able to run various things by replacing sysinit and TTY entries in inittab.
> So inittab is being read and busybox runs as do various applets.  But it
> seems that sh (or ash or whatever) itself will not actually run so no shell
> scripts (e.g. startup) can run.

Stupid question, but you do have the symlink from
${CLFS}/etc/init.d/rcS to ../rc.d/startup, right? (section 10.2)
That's required unless you want to change the config used for BusyBox
before building it.  I don't remember (and not in front of a Linux box
right now) but I think the bootscript location is somewhat hard coded
(I think) into BusyBox which is why we have the symlink right now.
Changing the bootscripts makefile and naming of the startup script
could fix this and make it simpler.

Boot scripts haven't gotten much love yet, sorry.

-Andrew