[Clfs-support] busybox-1.18.4 compile error.

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 06:05:58 PST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:29 AM, sayed israr <sd.israr at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello Andrew!
>   Sorry for late reply , and messing up a little.
>   Going back to my gcc-4.6.0 errors:
> A] build was not finding some of the header files , like byteswap.h /stdio.h
> etc.
> B] error : cannot find -lc
>
>  Above errors were corrected as follows:
>
> 1} error [A] was corrected by doing the following steps after uClibc build
>    completed :
>         cp ${CLFS}/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/* ${CLFS}/lib
>
>            As per  KarimYaghmour's book Building Embedded Linux Systems:

OK.  I'm not that familiar with the x86 build and I haven't had time
lately to try reproducing your issue (started new job this past week).
 If this is getting you past the issue, that's good, I guess.

> 2] error [B] was corrected by completely reinstall my host OS
> Ubuntu-10.10[ext4]
>    to  Ubuntu-10.10[ext2], that bug was due to ext4 filesystem.
>     Reference:
>             http://old.nabble.com/ld%3A-cannot-find--lc-td30321094.html
>             https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/685392
>
>   This way i came upto busybox-1.18.4 setup where again i m getting the
> linking problem.
>         i m building busybox as STATIC=y
>     but anyway it is linking with libm and libcrypt libs of glibc/uclibc .
>         even if passing the
>             make CROSS_COMPILE="${CLFS_TARGET}-" \
>             CONFIG_PREFIX="${CLFS}" install
>     parameters for linking, but it is not properly linking with uClibc.
>
> Digging in the buildroot website,help , they instructed to install
> glibc-static.
>
>  in ubuntu i have searched almost anything but i couldnt find glibc-static.

The glibc-static naming probably comes from Fedora, a similar issue
was found in March (Fedora has 3 packages for glibc that are all
needed for CLFS embedded build):
http://lists.cross-lfs.org/pipermail/clfs-dev-cross-lfs.org/2011-March/000904.html

The package you're looking for on Ubuntu may be called "libc6-dev" if
the issue is that you're missing host dependencies.  If you don't yet
have that installed, install it and try starting again.

When you're building Busybox, I don't believe there should be any
linking against the host libs.  Everything should be linking against
the uClibc components that you built.  I'm slightly confused by your
statements here, sorry.

-Andrew