[Clfs-support] CLFS - Unable to login on the first bootup

Grail Dane grail69 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 3 16:39:15 PDT 2011

Hi Ash
As you have only completed part of the solution I am not sure why you thought you would be able to boot the system??
RegardsgrailFrom: ash25.icon at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:15:54 -0700
To: clfs-support at lists.cross-lfs.org
Subject: [Clfs-support] CLFS - Unable to login on the first bootup

Hi
I'm following CLFS: Version GIT-20110622-x86_64-Multilib
I'm using openSUSE 11.4 as the host machine to build the cross-to and other basic tools for the minimal CLFS system booting.

This is the minimalistic system refered in Chapter 7 "If You Are Going to Boot" and not the final CLFS system.
I got through with the steps mentioned in chapters 1-7 without any errors.

When I finally went to boot the system I initially got an unable to mount root fs error. It said tried ext2, ext3, ntfs and stuff (but didn't mention ext4). Then I realized I had not compiled ext4 into the kernel but just as a module. I rebuild the kernel separately once again and I had success in getting past this error.

But it was complaining about spawning /sbin/agetty and so did not get any login prompt. I booted into my host machine and noticed that /sbin didn't contain agetty, instead it was present in /tools/sbin but according to the steps in chapter 7.6, it the lines look as below:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty1 9600
So either util-linux didn't install them to the proper location (should it have been ${CLFS} instead of /tools ?) or I missed some detail/step.

I tried modifying the /etc/inittab to use /tools/sbin/agetty instead of /sbin/agetty, and now I get a login prompt but entering username as root does not login into the system. :( It doesn't print any error messages but waits for roughly 30 seconds and again displays the login prompt.

I also copied the line from /etc/shadow on my host machine for the user root into ${CLFS}/etc/shadow. I even created an empty ${CLFS}/etc/gshadow. But still the same behaviour.

Any help here would be appreciated. Let me know if I need to post any additional logs or even my kernel's .config file. Thanks.
-Ash