[Clfs-support] CLFS GIT-20110815: boot error on target machine

Christian Wurst christian.wurst at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 05:22:09 PDT 2011

Hi everybody,

I just finished building a CLFS-system (GIT-20110815, host i686,
target i486) and everything went fine until I tried to boot it on the
target machine. Grub loads fine, I can tell it to boot the kernel, it
seems to load it (HD spins), but right before it should say
"Uncompressing the kernel" it acts like I pressed the reset button and
the machine starts again. Other than that there is no error message or
anything.

I don't get that behavior when booting that kernel on the host
machine: it boots up fine (well, it stops after init is started
because the entries in fstab are for the 486). I build that kernel
based on a config file from a 2.6.19 with "make oldconfig" and that
old kernel ran fine on the 486. There were some new configuration
options but I mostly accepted the default values if I wasn't sure, so
I think that it is possibly one of these new configuration options I
got wrong. Could anyone give me a hint what might be wrong or how to
track down that problem? Oh, almost forgot: gcc is 4.6.0 and linux is
2.6.39.

Thanks in advance,

Christian