[Clfs-support] Unfixed issue at dropbear make install

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 03:27:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Angel Ivan Castell Rovira
<al004140 at gmail.com> wrote:
>     clfs at devnull:~/sources/dropbear-0.52$ make MULTI=1 PROGRAMS="dropbear
> dbclient dropbearkey dropbearconvert scp" install DESTDIR=${CLFS}/usr
>     install -d -m 755 /home/clfs/usr/usr/bin
>     install -m 755 dropbearmulti /home/clfs/usr/usr/bin
>     chown root /home/clfs/usr/usr/bin/dropbearmulti
>     chown: changing ownership of `/home/clfs/usr/usr/bin/dropbearmulti':
> Operation not permitted
>     make: [inst_dropbearmulti] Error 1 (ignored)
>     chgrp 0 /home/clfs/usr/usr/bin/dropbearmulti
>     chgrp: changing group of `/home/clfs/usr/usr/bin/dropbearmulti':
> Operation not permitted
>     make: [inst_dropbearmulti] Error 1 (ignored)
>
> 'clfs' user is not allowed to change ownership/group of the binaries
> instaled as 'root', so Makefile can't execute fine lines like:
>
>     chown root $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/dropbearmulti$(EXEEXT)
>     chown root $(DESTDIR)$(sbindir)/dropbear$(EXEEXT)

Does Dropbear install but show these errors?  Or do the errors stop
installation?
>From your short log, it looks like it just complains but continues.

It makes sense that the 'clfs' user can't chown things to root.
You'll change the ownership of everything to be owned by root later in
the book in the "Changing Ownership" section (provided you're using a
book from the past 2 weeks or so).

Dropbear probably shouldn't be trying to chown things to root in their
install script...  but that might be fixed with a more up-to-date
Dropbear package (I'm not that familiar with Dropbear, yet).

-Andrew