[Clfs-support] Oops booting a working kernel cross-compiled with CLFS cross-toolchain [SOLVED]

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 07:39:32 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Angel Ivan Castell Rovira
<al004140 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Then, I regenerated again the CLFS-based toolchain.  After that, I
> cross-compiled my custom 2.6.30.4 kernel with that CLFS-based toolchain.
> After booting my ARM 920T platform with that kernel, I got the same Oops
> error detailed on a previous post.
>
> Makefiles differ after comparing diff's between buildroot and CLFS package
> sources (after applying patches). The file path'es are different, of course.
> But also there are more differences: for example "CC = gcc" vs "CC = gcc
> -std=gnu99". The md5sum's of source tarballs are all exactly the same. I
> also used the uClibc .config to configure my own uClibc.

How exactly are the makefiles different after applying the same
patches to the same sources?
Are you doing the diff before or after compilation?

> Do you think some missing configuration parameter (./configure) when
> configuring some of the packages compilation could be the problem?

It could be.  Can you provide the differences between Buildroot and
clfs configure switches?

> Keep in mind buildroot is building a valid kernel image, so the answer
> should also be on the buildroot sources. I don't understand why should I use
> a patch that buildroot is not using at all...

I agree.  Buildroot is doing something different than clfs.  I don't
think you need to use any patches that Buildroot isn't using since the
kernel you build with Buildroot tool chain is working properly.  Your
goal is to get clfs working the same way as Buildroot.

By mentioning the Yocto mailing list thread I was just wanting to show
that you're not the only one having issues with armv4t.  I've not been
keeping up with Yocto, but however they fix that issue could be useful
to understanding your problem.  Since they have someone complaining
about kernel oopses, someone might post a response with a link to the
patches to fix it.

-Andrew