[Clfs-support] Oops booting a working kernel cross-compiled with CLFS cross-toolchain [SOLVED]

Angel Ivan Castell Rovira al004140 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:50:25 PDT 2011

2011/4/8 Andrew Bradford <bradfa at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Angel Ivan Castell Rovira
> <al004140 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2011/4/8 Andrew Bradford <bradfa at gmail.com>

> versions

My previous ssertion was false. I apologize for the confusion. Let me
explain a little bit better to try to avoid confusion for future readers:

The kernel image generated *with buildroot* works and boots the rootfs,
fine, without generating any Oops message. When I tested it, I configured
buildroot wrongly, and it was not decompressing my kernel 2.6.30.4 headers.
It was decompressing default kernel headers. (I found this error this
afternoon). That's because buildroot was not working fine. This was fixed,
and now it is working fine.

However, the reported problem is still happening *when building the kernel
with the CLFS toolchain*. Here I can strongly confirm that I have properly
installed sanitized kernel 2.6.30.4 headers to build my CLFS (as I have
previously explained, I repeated the whole process again from scratch to be
completely sure). And this is the kernel that it ls generating the Oops
message reported in the post.

> CLFS_HOST=i486-cross-linux-gnu
> > CLFS_TARGET=armv4-linux-uclibceabi
> > CLFS_FPU=
> > CLFS_ARM_ARCH=armv4t
> > CLFS_ARM_MODE=arm
> > CLFS=/home/clfs
> > CLFS_ARCH=arm
> > CLFS_ABI=aapcs-linux
> > CLFS_ENDIAN=little
> > CLFS_FLOAT=soft
> >
> > You should be able to reproduce the same behabiour following the same
> steps
> > described on the book.
>

> I can build it, but I don't have an ARM920T board, so booting may be
> difficult...

I understand, don't worry. I'm very interested in learning about that topic,
I will try to fix this issue by myself, but it's always very useful to
receive some advices, specially when you are lost in the huge ocean of
cross-compilers...

Just to clarify things a little bit more: the "rootfs" build with CLFS is
OK, because the kernel build with buildroot is booting, mounting and
prompting the shell (init/sh applets) on that rootfs properly. So, the CLFS
cross-compiler is generating good userspace libs/bins (but not a working
kernel).

So, same kernel sources, same kernel headers, same compiler version, same
uClibc... I suppose it has to be related with some gcc patch that buildroot
applies, but CLFS don't.

That's what I want to check. I will try to apply all the patches provided by
buildroot and then I will build the CLFS again from scratch. Hope that will
fix the issue...

I will report here the obtained result.

> Regardless, you're not the only one having issues with armv4t, see:
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2011-January/000889.html
> Yocto may have fixed this issue (they just released their 1.0).  Their
> toolchain may be a good one to take a look at and compare to CLFS.

If that doesn't work, I'll take a look at that URL.
Your advices are always very valuable to me.
Thank you very much for your help, Mr. Andrew!

Best regards,
  -- Ivan