[Clfs-support] Proper ABI selection for the ARMv4t platform

Angel Ivan Castell Rovira al004140 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 06:05:59 PDT 2011

Hello forum!

I have some questions related with ARMv4t platforms and the proper selection
of EABI/OABI.

First, I am not sure if the ARM920T (v4t) is compatible with an EABI
toolchain. Based on table 6.2 of the CLFS book, it seems version that ARM
version 4 must be OABI, but based on section 6.3 (ABI variables), book says
EABI is compatible with ARMv4t and newer cores. I selected OABI, but now I'm
not sure if that was the best choice.

If ARMv4t is EABI compatible, I will build my cross-toolchain again. But I
have to select properly the value of the CLFS_ABI variable (based on the
table 6.1, "aapcs" or "aapcs-linux"). Does some of you know the difference
between both options? Which features on my ARM processor should I check to
exactly know with is the proper choice for my platform?

Also, If some of you have tested this issue... do you know the kind of
errors expected when running a binary compiled with an EABI cross-toolchain
on an OABI platform? Do you get "random illegal instructions" when running
that binary or it does not work at all?

Hope some of you know the right answer.
Thank you very much for your help.

And congratulations for that nice book! :-)

Best regards,
  -- Ivan