[Clfs-support] bash: grub: command not found (chapter 7, book 1.1.0 x-86)

Brett Mahar brett.mahar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 21:25:57 PDT 2010

Hi,
I just started playing with CLFS, installing from CLFS 1.1.0 x-86.
I've gotten to chapter 7.17 Making the Temporary System Bootable. As
instructed, prior to 7.17 I opened a new terminal, su'd in as user
root, and re-set the ${CLFS} environmental variable to /mnt/clfs.

When I type the command:
bash-3.1# grub
I get:
bash: grub: command not found

Trying:
bash-3.1# echo ${CLFS}
Gives:
/mnt/clfs

Trying:
bash-3.1# which grub
I get:
which: no grub in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin)
Also same thing if I try this as user clfs.

Typing:
bash-3.1# ls  ${CLFS}/boot/grub
Gives:
e2fs_stage1_5	  minix_stage1_5     stage2	      vstafs_stage1_5
iso9660_stage1_5  reiserfs_stage1_5  stage2_eltorito  xfs_stage1_5
jfs_stage1_5	  stage1	     ufs2_stage1_5

So it seems like Grub has compiled correctly and the files have copied
over to the right location, but somehow the binary command has not
been installed into the correct location.
I have probably made some trivial mistake, anyone know what it could
be? Everything was going so smoothly until now! Not sure if this
matters, but I am using Slackware 13.0 i386 as the host system.

Cheers,
Brett.