[Clfs-support] Nightmare with new MB (SOLVED)

Alonso Graterol alonso.graterol at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 09:07:06 PST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alonso Graterol <alonso.graterol at gmail.com>
Date: 2010/1/23
Subject: Nightmare with new MB
To: CLFS Support <clfs-support at lists.cross-lfs.org>

Hello,

I was able to build CLFS-SVN-20100103-x86_64-Pure64 using 2.6.32.2
instead of 2.6.30.5.
I also built Xorg-7.5 following BLFS directions but it freezes when
trying "X -retro -config" with the freshly brewed xorg.conf.new.
That's another issue...

While working Xorg I found out my old VIA MB was no longer OK so I
bought a new MB, this time an AMD 740G + SB700 with integrated Radeon
2100.

When I tried to boot my working system it stops with kernel panic
because it cannot find root partition /dev/hda1. To my surprise when I
tried to boot the same LFS 64bit liveCD I used to build my system it
stops because cannot mount /dev/lfs-cd and drop me back to a shell
where I can't do much from.

EDIT: I found the right combination of settings in kernel, involving
ide-generic and now my hdd is seen as hdc1.

Thanks,

Alonso