[Clfs-support] Nightmare with new MB

Alonso Graterol alonso.graterol at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 05:16:56 PST 2010

Hello,

I was able to build CLFS-SVN-20100103-x86_64-Pure64 using 2.6.32.2
instead of 2.6.30.5.
I also built Xorg-7.5 following BLFS directions but it freezes when
trying "X -retro -config" with the freshly brewed xorg.conf.new.
That's another issue...

While working Xorg I found out my old VIA MB was no longer OK so I
bought a new MB, this time an AMD 740G + SB700 with integrated Radeon
2100.

When I tried to boot my working system it stops with kernel panic
because it cannot find root partition /dev/hda1. To my surprise when I
tried to boot the same LFS 64bit liveCD I used to build my system it
stops because cannot mount /dev/lfs-cd and drop me back to a shell
where I can't do much from.

If I try a OpenSUSE liveCD it actually boots and I can access my
hdd.This way I could rebuild my kernel to get rid of all VIA related
settings and adjust it according to my new MB features. I also set all
SATA related parameters and drop almost all IDE ones as suggested by
some Google hits.

No different results so far. No even changing BIOS setup between IDE,
AHCI and RAID.

When trying with LFS liveCD I can read te following just before it stops,

ahci: controller can't do 64bit DMA,forcing 32bit
scsi0: ahci
scsi1: ahci
scsi2: ahci
scsi3: ahci
.
.
.
SB600-PATA: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later.
      ide0: BD-DAM at 0xf00-0xff07, BIOS setting: hda:pio, hdb:pio
(changing to DMA, same story)

Any hints on how to boot without need of an initram or similar as I
used to boot are welcome.

Thanks,

Alonso