[Clfs-support] Clock problem GMT vs. local

John Bolton John.Bolton at quest.com
Tue Jan 5 09:01:01 PST 2010

I have configured the system so that the hardware clock uses local time by setting UTC=0 in the file /etc/sysconfig/clock. Unfortunately, during boot the system halts with a message stating that the file system cannot be mounted because the superblock last write time is in the future. It shows the last write time as (for example) 10:00 PM and the current time as 2:00 PM (I'm in PST so there is an 8 hour offset).

I then boot the system with a LFS live CD, verify the time is set to the local time using the date and hwclock commands, and force a check on all partitions. FSCK reports the errors as having been fixed. I then reboot, remove LFS live CD, and run into the same problem.

The only way to get around the problem is to boot with the LFS live CD, set both the local time and hardware clocks to a date and time a couple of days ago, and then force a disk check using FSCK on all partitions.

I checked the IRC channel and at least one other person is running into the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John Bolton