[Clfs-support] CLFS (SVN-20091027-PowerPC) - 5.12 GCC - Symlink problem

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 08:06:56 PST 2010

On 12/30/2009 03:19 PM, Dok Sander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Chapter 5.12 (Cross GCC-4.4.1 - Static) of CLFS - SVN-20091027-PowerPC and because of deviating from the guide run into this problem:
>
> I don't want symlink $CLFS/{tools,cross-tools} to / because I'm going to have multiple cross-compilation environments on the same system. So, without the symlinks I change the paths accordingly. I cant't get GCC to build however. This is the error the make fails to:
>
> gcc/include-fixed/limits.h:122:61: error: no include path in which to search for limits.h
> make[1]: *** [_fixunssfsi.o] Error 1
>
> I have changed the paths in gcc-4.4.1-specs-1.patch, of CROSS_SYSTEM_HEADER_DIR in gcc/Makefile.in and touched include/limits.h in my tools-dir. Also, the options passed to configure are correct. I have double-checked and tried the compilation over and over again so can anyone think of anything that I'm missing ignoring the possibility of typos?

FYI, if you change /tools to /mnt/clfs/tools, after you boot into the
final system, you would have to actually put tools in
/mnt/clfs/mnt/clfs/tools after you chroot. The reason for the symlinks
is so that /tools keeps the same relative paths inside and outside of
the chroot.

I don't know exactly what your setup is, but you have 2 options really,
attempt to use sysroot to move /tools into your target only. I forget
exactly why the book doesn't have this, there is a reason, I think there
were problems building from OpenSolaris.

The easiest option, during your build, along the same lines, just rename
/tools to something else like /tools-ppc or /tools-x86_64.

I havn't ever done this but you can probably run a sed over the books
and patches before you start this may you're less likely to make
mistakes as you go.
find BOOK/ patches/ -type f -exec sed -i "s,/tools,&-ppc,g" '{}' \;