[Clfs-support] Clock problem GMT vs. local

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 05:26:08 PST 2010

On 26 January 2010 14:29, Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 01:16 AM, Craig Jackson wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM, John Bolton <John.Bolton at quest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have configured the system so that the hardware clock uses local time by
>>> setting UTC=0 in the file /etc/sysconfig/clock. Unfortunately, during boot
>>> the system halts with a message stating that the file system cannot be
>>> mounted because the superblock last write time is in the future.
>>
>> I was able to work around the issue by forcing the setclock script to
>> start before the mountfs script by renaming
>> /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S25setclock to
>> /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S15setclock.  I think a newer kernel may be
>> assuming the hardware clock is set to UTC.  Since this seems to be a
>> reasonable assumption for a *nix OS, I vote to make this re-ordering
>> of the boot order permanent, unless someone can find some other side
>> effects of this.
>>
> No objections from me, I will try to verify the kernel change and make
> the appropriate change to the boot scripts later.

I seem to think I have encountered a kernel config parameter that says
whether the kernel should initialize the system time from the rtc or
not. (In the very old days, I remember my kernel used to boot up at
epoch time.)

In any case, yes you do want your bootscript to do the hctosys thingy
before you mount any filesystems r/w.  ... But if you use the hwclock
--adjust, you want to do that a bit later (separate script), after
remounting root fs r/w else it ain't gonna be too happy updating
/etc/adjtime.