[Clfs-support] Problem compiling e2fsprogs

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:12:25 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Nazmul Alam <fadedreamz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
> I am trying to CLFS for arm development. I am following the book and has
> been successful setting up the CLFS till e2fsprogs.
> While trying to compile the e2fsprogs the Makefile generates but
> compilation fails giving error message saying: "file not found utime.h".
>
> I am trying to build CLFS for arm-unknown-linux & ABI is apts. Please
> advice as I am very new to linux system.
>
> thanks in advance.
> --
> with best regards
>        nazmul alam shovon
>
> email : fadedreamz at gmail.com

Nazmul,

I get the same error when using the 20101128 embedded ARM book, you're not
alone.  I'm going to dig into this and see what I can find.  A more detailed
output of error message from the compilation is (please note, my ${CLFS}
resolves to /home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem):

making all in debugfs
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/build/debugfs'
        MK_CMDS debug_cmds.c
        CC debug_cmds.c
        CC ../../debugfs/debugfs.c
        CC ../../debugfs/util.c
        CC ../../debugfs/ncheck.c
        CC ../../debugfs/icheck.c
        CC ../../debugfs/ls.c
        CC ../../debugfs/lsdel.c
        CC ../../debugfs/dump.c
../../debugfs/dump.c:22:19: fatal error: utime.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [dump.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/andrew/clfs-embedded/filesystem/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/build/debugfs'

-Andrew