[Clfs-support] Still No Internet

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Thu Oct 22 19:35:09 PDT 2009

Joe Ciccone wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but this will take awhile to read.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> When I run <dhclient wlan0>, I get:
>>
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
>> ...this is repeated with interval 7, 11, 21, 14 and 3...
>> No DHCPOFFERS received
>> Sleeping
>>
> <snip>
>
>> Thanks for wading through this.
>>
> <snip>
> You have to connect to a wireless network first. There isn't any magical
> auto detection / connections here. You have to do it yourself.

I think there's a disconnect between you and me. Yes, you've said this
before and this is what I thought I was doing. Maybe I'm being obtuse
here. If you mean manually configure my wireless devices so that they
can "connect" to my router, which is a dhcp server--or a server in a
"hot spot"--that's what I have tried to do. I have an almost identical
setup in an older laptop. There only are two differences: the interface
is a pcmcia card and there is no init script for dhcp. The dhclient
scripts for my wireless card and the pcmcia card are identical.

Given this, could you be a little more explicit when you say "you have
to do it yourself."

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks,