[Clfs-support] ***SPAM*** Binutils Chapter 10 part 14

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Oct 13 02:27:16 PDT 2009

On 10/13/2009 02:30 AM, Grail Dane wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> root:/#expect -c "spawn ls"
> spawn ls
>
> user:/>expect -c "spawn ls"
> spawn ls
> The system has no more ptys. Ask your system administrator to create more.
> while executing
> "spawn ls"
>
> So as I am running the install as a user this would be my problem?
> How do I go about having more ptys available? (I followed the instructions
> in 8.3 - mount -f -vt devpts -o gid=4,mode=620 devpts ${CLFS}/dev/pts
> although would note that /dev/pts has nothing in it)
>
> Cheers
> Grail

Yeah, I have the same problem, as I also build and install as non-root.
Outside chroot, ptys work with no problems as both root and non-root,
but inside chroot ptys work fine as root but not as a user. This seems
to have happened due to the switch from Glibc to EGLIBC (I simply go to
my build script and change "eglibc" to "glibc" and suddenly ptys work as
a user), though I have no idea about the specifics.

Unfortunately I also have no idea about a solution, but then I haven't
really tried that hard as I generally don't run testsuites much anyway.
I've googled for a fix, and the closest thing I can find is a Debian
patch -
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/e/eglibc/eglibc_2.9-20ubuntu2/changelog
(the "unlockpt" one) - which according to further searching seems to be
just modifying [glibc source]/sysdeps/unix/bsd/unlockpt.c and changing
"sizeof (_PATH_TTY) + 2" to just "1024". I can't find anything else on
the details of exactly what problem it's supposed to fix so I really
have no idea whether it even has anything to do with root/non-root
permissions issues, but it's worth a try I guess, unless someone has a
better solution...