[Clfs-support] CLFS embedded ARM with C++ support

Pascal Kesseli pascal_kesseli at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:19:59 PDT 2009

Hi everyone

Following the embedded ARM CLFS book, I was able to proceed until chapter
6.9. Here, I first built the gcc with the recommended configuration settings
and it compiled flawlessly. Instead of installing it, however, I deleted the
build folders and retried this step, but this time using
--enable-languages="c,c++" instead of --enable-languages=c.

I did so to create a C++ cross compiler, as the target system will be
hosting our own C++ application. This second build fails with the following
error message:

checking whether the /mnt/clfs/sources/gcc-build/./gcc/xgcc
-B/mnt/clfs/sources/gcc-build/./gcc/
-B/mnt/clfs/cross-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibc/bin/
-B/mnt/clfs/cross-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibc/lib/ -isystem
/mnt/clfs/cross-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibc/include -isystem
/mnt/clfs/cross-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibc/sys-include linker
(/mnt/clfs/sources/gcc-build/./gcc/collect-ld) supports shared libraries...
yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... configure: error: Link tests are
not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/clfs/filesystem/sources/gcc-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

So my question to you: Is there any patch or flag to circumvent this error ?
Am I right to add the c++ flag at this stage to enable C++ cross compilation
or should I save this until chapter 6.11?

Thanks for any help and best regards
Pascal