[Clfs-support] Stuck cross-compiling Coredumper--ideas?

William Tracy (wtracy) wtracy at cisco.com
Wed Oct 7 17:05:47 PDT 2009

I'm not actually working with an LFS system, so I have no idea if
anybody on this list is willing to offer any help. I'm hoping someone
might offer some general troubleshooting tips; if not, sorry to waste
your time.

I'm trying to cross-compile a library that uses GNU Autotools (Google
Coredumper, to be specific) for PPC using the MontaVista tool chain.
Normally, issuing "make" causes a .libs/ directory to be generating
containing .a, .o, and .so files (and variants thereof). When I
cross-compile for PPC, the directory is created and populated with a .a
file, but no .so files. I can see .o and .lo files being generated, so
the code *is* getting compiled, but the linking stage gets skipped. When
I review the make output, there are no error messages or warnings-the
commands related to the .so files are simply missing.

*Summary*: When I try to cross-compile, make mysteriously and silently
skips one or more parts of the build. (If I build for the same
architecture, it works fine.)

I've tried diff-ing the Makefiles generated by ./configure for the
different architectures, and they look the same (other than the paths to
the compiler executables being different). I've also tried grepping the
Makefiles for the relevant commands that I see in the output; I get no
matches in either Makefile, so Autotools is doing something arcane here.

At this point, what else can I try doing to debug this?

Thanks for any help,

---

William Tracy