[Clfs-support] some strange errors: ld --help gives errors

Stef Bon stef at bononline.nl
Sun Nov 1 12:44:54 PST 2009

Joe Ciccone wrote:
> Stef Bon wrote:
>
>> Joe Ciccone wrote:

>>> This is what happens when your binaries are linked wrong. You probably
>>> missed the toolchain adjustment after installing eglibc. Your easiest
>>> option would be to rebuild /cross-tools and /tools and then rebuild
>>> binutils/gcc in the final system.
>>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> great!! (not)
>> I've discovered that on my system the spec file is missing, while I'm
>> sure I did this step. Is this spec file neseccary?
>>
> The spec file is only provided to override builtin settings anymore. It
> hasn't been a required file in a long long long time.

So basically, you're saying start all over again! Or only gcc and
binutils (chapters 8.14 and 8.15)?

Well, ok.
But the specs of gcc, with gcc -dumpspecs, shows nothing of /tools or
/cross/tools, the ld-2.5.1.so is located at /lib, and the
startfile_prefix_spec is/are empty.

So how come??  Ok, I, already see, it's build again in 8.15. That
explains it.

Futher I would like to know is there still some interest in automating
the build. I'm thinking of a system which uses something like pkgtool
and another tool to download the instructions (and packages) from the
clfs website. User has choice to build manually or getting and following
the instructions from the book, and letting the tool do pieces of the
book without userinvention.

Stef