[Clfs-support] 64 bit cross compile

Koornstra, Reinoud koornstra at hp.com
Thu Mar 19 02:04:08 PDT 2009

I read in the gcc release notes:

"Tuning for Intel Core 2 processors is available via -mtune=core2 and -march=core2"

Is there any difference in setting -mtune and -march?
The BUILD64="-m64" is something that is advised on the clfs page for building for 64 bit.

When building tools they start every time with: CC="${CC} ${BUILD64}"
Hence I am considering to say BUILD64="-m64 -march=core2"
Maybe this is already not necessary, in which case BUILD64="-m64 -march=core2 -mtune=core2"
Would be totally useless and redundant?
Kind Regards,

Reinoud.